What you need to know

Are your vehicles licenced/approved to carry meat and seafood?

Most of our vehicles are approved by ‘Primesafe’ the Victorian licensing authority for vehicles engaged in the transportation of uncooked meat, poultry, seafood and smallgoods . If this is a requirement please ensure that you notify us when booking a vehicle.

Can I load a mixture of frozen and/or chilled and/or dry products?

Several of our vehicles have an internal wall/divider that enables the vehicle to have dual temperature zones. If this is a requirement please call us to enquire further.

Can I use a generator?

It is generally not recommended to use a generator. Even large commercial generators can experience significant power fluctuations that can trip the system or cause damage to the vehicle's refrigeration. If a generator is the only option, it must be at least 9kVA to provide enough power and be a Pure Sine Wave generator. You are responsible for any damage to the vehicle caused by generators or any faulty power supply.

How do I use Electric standby (ESB) correctly?

When running from ESB

  • Ensure you are using the correct 10 or 15 amp dedicated mains power supply
  • Switch vehicle ignition off
  • Switch cab control off before connecting
  • Connect the supplied, test and tagged extension cord.
  • Turn on at mains

Note: Maximum recommended lead length is 10 metres. Avoid multiple leads and ensure leads are uncoiled. If using a 10 Amp power socket, ensure it is a dedicated supply i.e. nothing else is plugged into the same socket.

Does the vehicle engine have to be running for the fridge to work?

No, most of our fridge vans have “electric standby”. We supply you with a cable that can be plugged into a 10A or 15A domestic mains electricity. This is ideal when van needs to be parked while loaded, overnight or during a catering event.

The refrigeration on our heavy trucks is powered by a separate diesel engine (like a built in generator) which draws from the main diesel tank. In a static position, a full tank may last 4 or more days until refill is required. Alternatively, they can be run on electric but require a 32A 3-phase industrial supply.

How should I use a fridge van correctly?

Pre-chill load space for 30 minutes

Switch the fridge unit off

Minimise the time the doors are open to avoid heat and humidity

Set desired temperature (and no higher) on cab control, see table

The vehicles are only designed to maintain temperature and will not dramatically reduce the temperature of products. Where possible products should be stored at the right temperature before loading.

Do not block evaporator air intake/outlets

Spread the load evenly within the vehicle and allow space around the product. 60 to 80mm in front of load. 200mm from top of load to roof. 50mm between floor and load.

Try not to put frozen and/or chilled and/or dry products in the same load space as the unit will not reach desired temperature.

Close doors ASAP

Make sure no-one is shut inside!

Check your load regularly

Do not leave the vehicle idling for extended periods with the fridge unit running, as it will not hold temperature and cause a flat battery.

Do I need to pay for the fuel we use?

All vehicles are provided with a full tank of fuel. They must be returned with a full tank. If the tank is not full, we charge you the price of the refuel plus an administration fee.

What happens if the vehicle breaks down?

Most of our vehicles are covered by 24 hour 7 day a week roadside assistance. For straight forward issues such as flat batteries, contact the number in the vehicle. If you are unsure or if the issue is more serious contact Cool Rentals on 1300 731 209.

What should I do if I have an accident?

Contact 000 for ambulance or police if required. Where appropriate move vehicles out of danger with other traffic.

Obtain full details from third party’s driving licence including the name, address, telephone number, driving licence number, vehicle registration and make/model. Obtain details from any independent witness. Where possible take photographs. Advise Cool Rentals of the accident on 1300 731 209.

You will need to complete and send in the accident form which can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.

Can I park my own vehicle at your yard?

Yes, with prior arrangement we can allow you to leave a vehicle at our yard whilst you are renting. The yard is a securely fenced and closed out of hours. However any vehicle is left at your risk.

Can I return the vehicle outside normal business hours?

By arrangement we may be able to arrange for the vehicle to be returned out of hours. The vehicle will remain your responsibility until it has been checked by Cool Rentals the following day.

Do you charge cancellation fees?

Cool Rentals reserves the right to charge a cancellation fee of at least 1 day if rentals are cancelled less than 24 hours prior to collection.

Can I set up an account?

We allow a limited number of companies to set up an account. Please call us to enquire. Normal payment terms unless agreed otherwise are 7 days from invoice.

When and how do you require payment?

We generally require payment in full prior to the vehicle collection. Primary payment methods are Mastercard, Visa, Amex or JCB. We charge a flat fee capped at 1% across all accepted cards for card payments. For any queries relating to card payment surcharges or method of payment please contact us on 1300 731 209.

What if I cannot be present at the collection and need to send a driver/another person?

Given enough notice we can provide you a relevant form that will enable you to authorise payment to your credit card and authorise another person to pick up the vehicle on your behalf.

What do I need to bring with me when I collect the vehicle?

You need to be present and provide a valid driver’s licence and your credit card.

What is a day’s rental?

As per industry norm with commercial vehicles, charges are per calendar day unless agreed otherwise. i.e. Midday to midday would be charged as 2 days.

However vehicles can normally be picked up at the end of the day before use is required and returned the following day before close of business.

What happens if I drive the vehicle on a Tollway?

All our vehicles are supplied with an eTag registered for use on all Victorian toll roads. Cool Rentals will manage the payment of all toll charges for the duration of your rental and debit the nominated the customers credit card. Cool Rentals do not at this time charge a fee for the administration of tolls.

Do you deliver and collect vehicles?

Yes. Delivery and collection is available to Melbourne and regional Victorian locations. We normally require several days’ notice and we usually charge a reasonable fee to cover our costs. Please call to enquire.

Do you offer one-way rentals?

No, the vehicles must be returned to our Melbourne locations.

What size van or truck can I drive on a normal licence?

The Fuso 515 3 pallet trucks are the largest you can drive on a car licence. Bigger trucks need a medium rigid truck licence.

What licence do you accept?

We accept full current Australian and overseas licences.

Can I rent a vehicle with an international drivers licence?

If you have a valid international licence or a licence which is in English, then you are able to drive in Australia. Your international licence must include a photo of yourself and you will be required to present your passport.

What is the minimum age of drivers?

Drivers must be 21 years or older to drive our car licence vehicles (i.e. under 4490 GVM). For trucks over 4490 GVM, drivers are required to be 25 years or older.

What are your Terms & Conditions?

Our standard terms and conditions can be downloaded here.

Can I hire extra items such as trolleys and crates?

Yes, we have a limited range of trolleys, crates and other specialized equipment that can be loaned free of charge.

Get in touch

Speak with the refrigerated vehicle specialists today